Sunday, July 20, 2008

Sunday Morning ...

... did not have Charles Osgood today as its host. Rather, it was Steve Hartman, whose name I just tried to Google. After going through three pages of unrelated entries, he wasn't there. Never mind.


The Steve Hartman I know is one whom I have seen many many times before on Charles Osgood's show, as the interviewer who -- at the end of each segment, which was usually in depth and quite fascinating -- had his profiled guest throwing a dart over his/her shoulder at a map of the United States. Wherever the dart landed was the town that Steve would visit next. Do you remember that?

If Steve is going to be a continuing guest host, surely something can be done about his hair?!? I mean, come on now!!


The show this morning was excellent, as always. There are a couple of its featured subjects that I'd like to share (and perhaps expand upon just a little) with you.


The Green Gulch Farm Zen Center. My goodness, my goodness, my sister* would have LOVED this! Located in Sausalito, California, the center maintains itself primarily by hosting conferences and selling some of its organic produce.

Of all of the pictures taken and interviews conducted for this report, the impression that I am left most strongly with, outside of "savoring each day", is this ... simplicity.


Today is the 39th anniversary of man's first step on the moon, did you realize that? I certainly did not! Where were you when Neil Armstrong landed on the moon and uttered, "That's one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind."?

I'll tell you where I was. I was sitting in the living room with my hubby, our eyes glued to the TV (as was probably just about everyone else's in America -- don't know about the rest of the world), watching this magic unfold.

Then we spent the next few seconds or so asking each other, "What did he say?" And, in spite of all the many re-broadcasts of what he'd said, we still didn't understand it!


*You will find just a brief mention of my sister's beliefs later in life in this post.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

I was a day short of being a month old. My mom and dad propped me up against some pillows on the floor in front of their old black and white t.v. so that I could someday say, "I saw man's first step on the moon."

Goldenrod said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Goldenrod said...

And you CAN, can't you?

Years and years ago, it was Life magazine, I think, than ran a short interview with Jack Benny where he gave some hints on how to avoid turning 40. I can only remember two of them. 1) When the name 'Lincoln' comes up, make sure it's the car you're talking about and not the President. 2) Keep telling everyone, every single time you see them, that you're 39. If they hear it often enough, they'll believe it for years! (#2 is my favorite)

Anonymous Me said...

I was in kindergarten and we were all sat in front of a tv to see the news, but I didn't have a clue what was really happening. I remember it, though.

Love Jack Benny's advice!

Craig Peihopa said...

A small and insignificant bit of trivia about Neil Armstrongs landing. The images were all beamed to the Us from space via a Dish in the middle of my state called Parkes, about 6-7 hours drive away from Sydney. There was a movie made about it called the Dish. Big deal ha! I liked this post. I was too young to know I think and I don't remember anything about it.
shame on me.

Goldenrod said...

You know, Craig, somewhere deep in my memory banks I think I recall that fact about Australia's relay dish. I have a great deal of admiration for your country. Australia has been a wonderful ally of ours for many many years.

I wonder if, when I reach 79, if I keep telling everyone I run into that I'm 79 they'll remember it for years? Nah! Probably not. They'll just want to start planning my 80th birthday party.

Probably wouldn't work for 49, either. I think the only one it really works for is 39.