Monday, July 7, 2008

Convolution

Boy, that one word describes the dream I had midway through my sleep last night. It woke me up, in fact. And, because I remembered all the details so clearly, I wanted to immediately get up and write it down before I forgot it, but I didn't.

Here it is, in a nutshell, details somewhat fuzzy, but meaning/s clear.


I'm driving my car and I see a 4-wheel drive, all terrain-type vehicle doing really weird things, like trying to go up steep embankments (& sometimes even succeeding) and then coming back down and forcing others to quickly have to brake or dodge to avoid an accident as it re-enters moving traffic without yielding the right of way. Once I even saw it sideswipe another car pretty good, but it didn't stop. Just kept on going.

Later, as I'm driving up a street in this very attractive neighborhood, I notice the vehicle perhaps half a block in front of me. It is stopped in the middle of the street. I can see that there are two people inside. I pull over to the side because I don't know why it's there or what they intend to do.

As I'm waiting and watching, all of a sudden I see it shoot forward and just 'cream' a really expensive-looking car parked in a driveway. Shocked, my jaw practically on the ground, I get out of my car and watch as they get out to inspect the damage to the other car. Seemingly satisfied, they turn around to get back into their vehicle (I guess to find another 'victim') and see me watching. They hesitate. I shout, "What do you guys think you're doing? I saw what you did. I'm going to call the police!"

They start towards me. They don't look friendly. Now, all of a sudden, I'm afraid and run towards the house nearest me and pound frantically on the front door. It opens and I'm inside, safe for the moment but worried about my car. Sure enough, my worst fears are realized when I finally venture back outside and see that it is no longer there.



I remember thinking (in my dream) 'fun' stuff like, "Now they know where I live. My registration's in the glovebox. They'll come and get me!" "How am I going to be able to afford a new car?"


Do you dream? If you do, does everything seem to happen in slow motion? Do things that would make no sense at all if you were awake appear normal? Do you dream in color or black and white? (My sister asked me that once, long ago, and I said that I didn't remember.) I don't remember to this day, although I have tried to tell my subconscious many times to pay attention to that little detail. So far it hasn't listened to me.


In a post titled, "Talking to oneself ...", published in January, I said that dreams are the sub/unconscious mind's way of resolving issues of the day.


Well, I guess that one of the issues my subconscious continues to worry about is my car. The above-mentioned post refers to that in the first paragraph. Overall, tho, that post is upbeat and fairly amusing, not at all like this one! If you haven't already read it, you might get a kick out of it.

I'm not a taxicab driver any more and don't depend on my vehicle for a living, so why am I still worried? Well, for one thing I took the collision insurance off when the car was paid for. I figured that I could avoid an at-fault accident. What I am not protected against is theft. An amazing creature, the subconscious!

Where'd the destructive vehicle come from? Well, I watched a sub-par movie about this 'demon' car within the last few days. "If it was so sub-par, why'd you continue to watch it?" I guess I kept hoping it would get better! Anyway, that got thrown into the mix. Where I was in fear for my life my subconscious must have decided to add just to scare me enough to wake up.


My hope is, now that I've written all of this down so that my feeling of horror might somehow be neutralized as the components are strewn all over cyberspace, that I have gotten this out of my system and the dream will not recur.

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I always try to remember if I dream in color or black and white, too.....and I never can remember!

Sounds like a bizarre dream. Hopefully you've now worked out those issues and won't dream about them again. :)

Craig Peihopa said...

I have countless dreams of me with famous people and and a host of other dreams. Last night's dream was I was backstage with Lionel Richie and he was talking candidly with me about his life and we became friends.

Not as graphic as your dream though.

I was wondering though when you were pounding on the door and went inside if it was a worse horror than remaining outside. It might have been Boo Radleys house! or worse.

I remember seeing an interview with former rock star, playboy bunny Deborah Harry from the band Blondie who said she was picked up one night as she was was hitch hiking and then the driver did not talk to her and started to speed up, the car door on her side had no handle, but after some time she managed to prize the ddor open and jump out of the moving vehicle. She said that sometime later months or years I believem she saw the news with a picture of Jeffrey Darmer (?) spelling and said it looked like he was the man who picked her up. No dream, which is even scarier.