Thursday, July 24, 2008

Rain

Ah, the sweet roll of thunder! It's been raining sporadically ever since late last night. My yard and foundation are simply loving every blessed drop!

This in direct contrast, of course, to far south Texas, where they are experiencing flooding conditions. Dolly struck land as a Category II hurricane, as I had feared altho not precisely predicted. She slowed down her forward progress just enough before she hit land to allow her strength to significantly increase. The folks on South Padre Island who simply 'did not believe' it could happen are kind of sad now, and I'm sad for them.


As long as I live, I don't think that I will ever understand the propensity some people seem to have to view -- first-hand -- disasters!

A young man, getting a first-hand look at Dolly from a balcony on the 7th floor of a hotel where he was staying on South Padre, was either 'sucked off' or fell. He's alive and will recover, according to news reports, but emergency medical personnel could not reach and then evacuate him to a mainland hospital because the main access route to the island (a bridge) had been closed due to the high winds.


I'm going to have to take a little break now. One of my regular long-timey customers called me last night, wanting me to pick her up at IAH at noon today. I still have to step in the shower, so I'll talk to you later.


This is later. Much later, actually. Thunder is still rolling around, and we have received 2-3" of rain on the southwest side. Wonderful!! There was perhaps a 3-hour window midday that allowed me to drive to the airport, pick her & her 'baby' (a dog) up, take them home, and then get back here. Was that lucky, or what?

No comments: