Wednesday, October 15, 2008

When I was a child ...

One of my favorite things to do was sit on a little hill near the tracks and watch the train. Sometimes it would be going back and forth, coupling and uncoupling cars. At other times it would be speeding on through.

I always hoped that the men on the train would see my wave and return it. Usually they did, and it always brought a smile to my face.


My brother had a little Lionel train set, and he played with it by the hour. I can remember making paper dolls out of models found in the Sears catalog or in knitting or crocheting books. I'd cut them out and then carefully mount them on cardboard. It was fun to try and design clothes for them. But, back to trains.


I have mentioned trains a couple of times in previous posts. The first time, I think, was when I recommendeded that you check out Chuck's post about "The Train Lady." An incredible feature. Did you miss it earlier? It's definitely worth clicking on the link.


Another time I mentioned trains is when Dad, in his efforts to get his mother all settled, was still on the train when it pulled out of the station and all **** broke loose! You can read all about it here, if you like.


Steven has a nice feature on steam engines in his post today that you might want to check out.

You know, I don't remember the steam engine, precisely. When I was very young, I had recurring nightmares where a train engine would be throwing red hot coals at me. I'd wake up crying.


Passenger trains are almost a thing of the past, aren't they? GG and I talked about taking a train ride in Chihuahua, MX, but never did. I wonder if that excursion is still being offered?


Have you ever ridden on a train?

2 comments:

Tammy said...

Back when I was married to my first husband, we took Katie (newborn), Eric (1), and Emily (2) on a passenger train ride on a train that was in the area. It was a special deal, and I don't think one has been back here since then. Anyway, we rode from here to Rigby (about 12 miles) and back home. It was noisy and very cool. I remember each car had a specific name, but I can't remember for the life of me what the name of our car was.

Goldenrod said...

I've been w/racking my brain ever since I first wrote this post and then reading your comment, Tammy, but I still cannot remember exactly where it was that I rode a train, but I know I did. I can remember the ride itself, but not where. Funny how the mind works, isn't it?