Thursday, September 25, 2008

Scattered thoughts

I was going to do a follow-up to my last post ... this one in re the Economic Summit in Houston in 1990 ... but my newest regular customers called me just before noon, saying that they were ready to go back home (wonderful thing, "home"!), and could I possibly pick them up this afternoon?


Well, of course I could (and did!).


On the way, I was struck by how much more dangerous the (now) 4-way stops in lieu of traffic lights are. "Why is that?" you might well ask. Well, it's because so many of them are now working that people are not paying as much attention as they should be! (I really can't describe it any better than that.)



I had the radio on all the way over, tuned in to a local sports station, and was more than a little upset to hear a 'fantasy football expert' say, "I've seen him play in a lot more pain than he's in right now."

I thought that was a really ugly thing to say. I remember from years back watching Earl Campbell literally 'carry' countless defenders on his back as he struggled to gain ever more yardage for the Houston Oilers.

The very first house my first husband and I bought here in Houston was from an ex-Houston Oiler, a center, Bobby Maples. I remember thinking that when Maria Purdy, our realtor, first brought us to the house, "This absolutely has to be a football player!"

And, of course, he was!


These professional athletes bankrupt their physical health and well-being in the future, particularly if they're football players in the 'big leagues', where they play and give it their 'all'. Is it worth it? I don't know. You'd have to ask them.



Picked up my customers, and was almost afraid to ask them what the prognosis was.

It's still kind of 'up in the air'. All of the results are not yet in, but I'd like to share with you something that his doctor said to him ... ...


"I think we can help you."

2 comments:

Tammy said...

"I think we can help you" sounds positive and hopeful. I have hopeful thoughts for them..... :)

Goldenrod said...

Me too, Tammy. This is not their first bout with cancer ... second for him, and she is a breast cancer survivor.

People don't travel to MD Anderson from all over the world because they want to see Houston. No, generally they come because MDA is their last hope.

In this particular case, they think that he will be undergoing chemotherapy and then will likely be admitted into an ongoing experimental drug treatment program, but more will be known and decided upon as all of the test results come back and are studied by the doctors.

He was impressed with the serious and attentive nature of his primary doctor, and that's a very good beginning to recovery.

I had him repeat what the doctor said. It sounded so simple, yet carried so much hope.