Wednesday, September 3, 2008

My visit to the eye doctor

About a week and a half ago, my left eye started doing something really peculiar!

Every so often I'd have what I can best describe as a lightning strike on the far left side of my left eye. This only happened when my eyes were closed or I was blinking.

About the same time, I began experiencing a kind of 'fuzziness' in the vision of that same eye. This was most noticeable when working at the computer. It was kind of like when you have 'sleepy sand' in your eyes ... ever had that?

Also, when watching TV and doing paperwork, sometimes I'd 'see' a bug out of the far left corner of -- yes, the same left eye. But, when I'd turn my head to see what it was, it was gone.

The combination of all these things just scared me half to death, as you might imagine!

My worst fear -- for the past 20-30 years -- has been the loss of my eyesight. I thought, "Well, here it comes!"

I called my eye doctor to make an appointment. The earliest he could see me was yesterday afternoon.

So, almost a week of stewing and fretting and worrying about my eyesight. Sometimes I found myself almost paralyzed, unable to concentrate on anything! Bridge and blogging saved me.

Then, yesterday came. I went. Three hours of examinations later ... they were looking for everything from a detached retina to a "Had I fallen or been hit in the head?" type of event ... it was found that some 'gel' inside my eye had come loose.

I asked, "What can we do about it?" "Nothing," he said. "You'll get used to it." Ye Gods!

Meanwhile, back at my vision check ranch, it was determined that my cataracts are 'on the move' (his words) and my bifocal prescription needs to be dramatically changed.

He wants to see me again in six months. I foresee cataract surgery on my right eye, for sure! That'll be bothersome. I may even have to stay at DD's for a short while, we'll see.

Anyhoo, after leaving his office I felt such a humongous sense of relief that I called one of my bridge partners to see if he was available to play bridge last night. He was.

I ate a huge supper before the game and then, about halfway through, I didn't think I was going to make it! I thought I would fall asleep right there at the table. All that stress and then relief finally catching up with me, I guess.


Craig Peihopa said...

I am very pleased that for the most part you are fine Goldenrod. I had to laugh at the falling asleep part. That is a healthy sign as well. Thanks for sharing your worries and ....yourself.

love lots

Tammy said...

Sleep well, dear friend.

Keep us posted.....