Friday, August 1, 2008

Baseball standings

It's been ten days since I last updated the season. Let's see what's been happening.



On July 22nd, this was the situation in the American League ...


East ... Rays were in 1st, the Red Sox trailed by 1.5 games, and the Yankees by 4.5.

Since then, the Rays have won five and lost four, the Red Sox have won four and lost five, and the Yankees have won six and lost four. At one point during this interval, the Rays and Red Sox were in a virtual tie for the top spot. Both the Rays and Red Sox were idle last night.

So, here's what the East looks like today ...

Rays still in 1st place, the Red Sox trail by 3.0 games, and the Yankees by 4.5.


Central ... White Sox were out in front, Twins 0.5 back, and Tigers 5.5.

Interestingly enough, the standings are exactly the same today.


West ... Still Angels, Angels, Angels. Bowring!



In the National League, the races are really intriguing, particularly in the


East, where, on 7/22, this was the situation ... the Mets & Phillies were tied for 1st, with the Marlins 1 game back and the Braves 6.

Today, the picture is a teeny bit clearer, but not by much. Phillies are out in front, followed closely by the Mets at 1.0 game back and the Marlins 1.5. The Braves, now 9 games out of 1st, have run into a little tough luck, although they did beat the Cardinals last night.


The Central, now, is where 'my' lowly Astros play. While I think we have won almost every series since the All-Star break, we got swept at home by the Pirates. Ye Gods!

OK. As of 7/22, the Cubs were on top, followed closely by the Brewers & Cardinals in a virtual tie for second.

The Brewers made a couple of blockbuster trades, the Cubs faltered out west, and all of a sudden the Cubs found themselves in a tie with the Brewers for 1st place. Since then, the Brewers got swept by the Cubs, and now find themselves again in a virtual tie for second with the Cardinals. This time, however, both teams are 5.0 games back.

An exciting turn of events for Cubs fans.


West ... Diamondbacks & Dodgers were tied for 1st on the 22nd of July. Rockies were not mentioned.

As of today, the Diamondbacks are the clear front-runners with the Dodgers back by 2.0 games. The Rockies are whispered about perhaps coming up into contention, but I just don't see it happening. They're 8.0 games behind.



Well, that's it, folks! I haven't really been following the trades much, except for the two the Brewers made that I thought were of significance. Catcha again later, maybe. Hope you have a good day, and an even better weekend!

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I have to admit I'm a Yankees and Cardinals fan. I don't watch baseball on t.v. (even the World Series) unless one of "my" teams is in it, though. I AM following your team with mine in the newspaper. :)

Goldenrod said...

I don't remember EVER following baseball this closely -- not even in '94, when I was an Astros maniac! I've even thought of drawing up charts. We'll see.

The only baseball I watch on TV is the Astros games on Sunday afternoons. (Sometimes painful.)

I don't have cable, so that's it for me. (Don't WANT cable, either. I watch more than enough TV as it is!)