Friday, June 26, 2009

When do you call it a "day"?

How much time do you spend on the telephone? How long do you spend driving/traveling to and/or from here and there? How much time do you spend with long-remembered 'dear ones', trying to recapture that which cannot be recaptured but yet you're still trying to 'make it so'?

Boy oh boy, if I had answers to any of those que$tions, I'd be sitting pretty, money-wise.

I've been trying to retrieve (unsuccessfully, as it turns out!) from my memory banks an old saying about this very subject. I'm actually a little hopeful that Chuck, if he reads this, can give us all a perfectly-illustrative quote in his comment.

We are where we are where we are where we are, aren't we? There's no 'going back', as it were, no re-living or retrieving that which has been lost or long ago passed us by.

All we can do is accept what is and move on - trying to incorporate some of those 'lost' or 'gone by' in our efforts (hopefully reciprocated in the same vein).

The best time to leave a really wonderful party is when it's at its height. It's also the most difficult time to leave!

We all, I think, would like to enjoy and savor forever the good things. How do we know when to quit while we're ahead?

I don't have any ready answers. I don't have anywhere even close to 'ready' answers!

7 comments:

Tammy said...

I have no interest in re-living the past. However, I am recently finding that occasionally forcing myself to remember snippets from my past has completely opened up my future.

How's that for a vague comment? lol!

Goldenrod said...

LOVE it! Can hardly wait till you get back and tell us all about some of these snippets from the past that have completely opened up your future. It all sounds very exciting!!

Chuck said...

Here's something I wrote about 10 years ago when trying to relive the past and hoping for the future:
============================
Now and Then

It's always Now,
never Tomorrow,
never Yesterday,
never Then.

You cannot control Then,
only Now --
can never enjoy Then,
only Now.

Live for Now,
relish Now,
for true joy resides neither in
Later nor Before
but solely in Now.

Or to quote Burt Munro, who at age 67 traveled from New Zealand to Nevada to set the land speed record for small motorcycles:

If you don’t go when you want to go, when you do go, you’ll find you’ve gone.

Goldenrod said...

I began this post with a clear objective in mind but found, after I'd started writing, that my mind was wandering (as per usual) in 89 different directions. Appreciate the poem, Chuck. It makes a lot of sense.

Craig Peihopa said...

great comment chuck. Very profound.

steven said...

hi goldenrod, chuck's quote from burt is a winner eh?!!!

i use the past to inform the future becoming present.

in other words i learn from past mistakes, past successes and allow them to inform my understanding of the present and perhaps place me in such a way as to be available to the future.

it's all about being in the moment.

steven

Goldenrod said...

"Being in the moment" ... there you go. At the moment it's still in the upper 90's here. Nobody's doing much of anything outside. We've had temps in the 100's for the past several days. There's a chance for some rain tonight through Wednesday, but I'll believe it when I see it. Hot, hot, hot!