Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 20, 2009

This date did not escape my attention. No no, it did not!

However, I had resolved not to write a political post today, but I must confess that I have been so moved as to publish one.

As I'm sure most of you know, I was not an Obama supporter. I was not a McCain supporter, either, as you might have gathered from previous posts.

As a taxicab driver for many years, I came into frequent contact with - and, indeed, some of my friends are - taxicab drivers of African-American ancestry. I value them.

At the same time, I must say, when I last visited Hobby Airport this past November on election day - I'll admit that my timing could have been a whole lot better (!), I was asked (again and again), "Who'd you vote for?"


I'd like to share with you just a couple or three/four or more of my thoughts ... ...

1) I couldn't be more proud (I mean that sincerely!) that 'we' have elected an 'African-American' as President of the United States.

2) I just wish his heritage were more 'pure' ... there's Caucasian in there, along with what all else? (I don't remember. My ignorance, I apologize.)

3) I did not listen to his address to the nation following the swearing-in ceremonies, and so I cannot comment on it.

4) I'm more than a little disgruntled that we are going to be subjected to yet another four or more years of a Clinton in the White House limelight. (For the entire eight years of Bill Clinton's presidency, I was ashamed to admit that I was an American. I'm being serious here!)

5) I'm almost sorry* that we are celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr's birthday ALmost at the same time. I'm of really mixed feelings on this one! But wouldn't Dr. King have been proud?

*Dr. King was a 'proven' commodity. President Obama is an unknown as of this writing.

There was a prayer offered after the swearing-in this morning, but I do not recall who gave it. It was that prayer that inspired my writing of this post.


My own deepest, most thoughtful and heartfelt wish is that Barack Obama ascend to and encompass those highest of ideals that ALL of us in the United States - if not the whole world - aspire to.

Amen.

3 comments:

Craig Peihopa said...

I had wondered how you would approach this topic, or indeed even if you would. I like how you approached the subject. You are a very special person Goldenrod.

Goldenrod said...

Thank you, Craig. I finally decided that to NOT address it would almost be tantamount to sacrilege! It was the prayer I heard that tipped the scales.

Tammy said...

Like Craig, I wondered "if" and "how" too! lol

I will say one of the things that we enjoyed most in watching all of the extras that went with the inauguration was seeing so many past, the current, and the future president/s together. And all of them getting along, smiling, hugs, etc. And none of it looked forced to me, very genuine. We commented on how there is such hope for our country and world if even these men can put their differences aside and appreciate each other for their past and current efforts and look together towards the future.