Thursday, January 29, 2009

Anamorphosis

"Anamorphosis" - the general definition as it pertains to art, from Wiki - "is a distorted projection or perspective requiring the viewer to use special devices or occupy a specific vantage point to reconstitute the image."

There is an incredibly talented artist from the UK by the name of Julian Beever who's been producing sidewalk art - using a chalk medium - for over a decade now. His anamorphic illusions are drawn in a special distortion to create an impression of three dimensions when seen from one particular viewpoint.

Here's one of his completed projects, commissioned by Aveeno ...


Beautiful, is it not? How does he work on his projects without smudging the chalk? Seems as tho it would be an impossible task!

Well, he uses this X-type apparatus - padded at the top - and kind of hippety hops very carefully in and around the work in progress while he adds a touch of color here and a fountain there, as you will discover in this 4:18 video. I'd be willing to bet you'll watch this more than once. Just a fascinating process!



One of the things he likes to do when a work is completed is pose next to it. Here, it appears as tho he is sticking his toes into the water ...


This site has over 50 (!) photographs of his creations, a couple of which show what they look like if not viewed from the proper angle. The photos are very small on the page, but a single click quickly enlarges each of them. Really interesting!

One wonders, of course, how long they would last if it rained! Well, obviously not very long, huh? Probably a little less time than an ice sculpture would last out in the desert.

Once again, I have my friend Beth to thank for apprising me of Julian Beever's work. Thank you, Beth!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Extremely interesting art form. I always enjoy reading about telented persons.

Thanks for the nice comments at my site. Although I don't always update daily, usually couple times a week.

Steve

Chuck said...

I've experienced this artwork on one of my trips -- I want to say in Germany, but I can't recall where for certain, and I'm not sure who the artist was -- but it is really impressive to see in person, and the artistic talent required is unimaginable to one as artistically-challenged as I am.

Craig Peihopa said...

Imagine t he feeling of having this image in your head, putting it on paper, and then bringing it to life! Wonderful talent, wonderful artform. A great post Goldenrod. Though I am yet to find a post of yours that wasn't interesting, thought provokig or touching. I am honoured to have made your acquaintance. How are those cold stuff going? Just saw on the news a cold snow in Texas, and Australia's eastern states are experiencing temps well over 100 degrees your system and it causing a shut down of the power grid. It is so damn hot, 10pm last night was over 100.

I love the worlds diversity.

Take Care

Tammy said...

I love this sidewalk art. I've seen similar online, but not this picture.

As much as I look and look and look at it, I still can't wrap my mind around how it's created. It looks so real. It's just mind boggling to me.

Tammy said...

Well looky there, I clicked on the link you gave us, and the photos of drawings I've seen were also created by him!

Goldenrod said...

Hey there, Steve, glad you came by for a visit. Hope you'll come back often!

You and I are in the exact same position, Chuck ... artistically-challenged. Doesn't stop us from appreciating beautiful things, tho, does it? How very special that you had the opportunity to actually see one of these unbelievable creations in person!

The weather is just all over the map, isn't it, Craig? (100 degrees at 10pm? That's a real oucher!) That snow and ice you were hearing about in Texas was to our north, altho we did experience freezing temperatures. It's a wonder ANYone is well!

Mind-boggling is definitely the description, Tammy. Glad you enjoyed the post!