Saturday, May 24, 2008

Something got hold of me

I have slept probably 32 out of the last 36 hours. Not all at once, mind you. For many of those hours it would be sleep one hour, up five or ten minutes, sleep another hour, up another five or ten minutes, etc. My eyes literally ached. I could not keep them open.

I live alone, so exposure to invasive germs in my own house could not have happened. I had three customers going back and forth to the airports Tuesday and Wednesday, but they were not sneezing and wheezing on me.

The only thing I can think of is my visit to the doctor's office Tuesday morning. You may have read that I got a bone density test. It was COLD in that room! I remember thinking, "I should ask for a blanket." But then I thought, "No, you're not going to be in here that long." Thought myself right out of it.


I am almost never sick, but -- if I am, usually it's a cold. For some reason or other, I never get the flu! When I was in undergraduate school in the late 1950's, there was a pretty good-sized crisis on Northern Michigan University's campus. The whole bottom floor of our dorm was converted to a makeshift hospital as the Asian flu epidemic worsened. I was one of the caregivers.

Normally, I am able to ward off an impending cold with sleep, lots of oj, and stuff like that. This time NADA!


Anyhoo, I'm feeling somewhat better this morning. My last two sleep stints lasted two and three hours each, respectively.

It's getting to be about that time again, tho ... the pillow is calling.

4 comments:

Polimom said...

32 out of the last 36 hours???? My goodness!!! That's a TON of sleep!

Glad (very) to hear you're starting to feel a bit better...

Goldenrod said...

Well, maybe only 30 of the last 36. I didn't take into full account the two stints of 2 and 3 hours each. By the way, this latest one was one hour. I'll be hitting the pillow again at 2:00, having been up now for almost three hours (a record these days).

Tammy said...

Well I'm glad to hear you are at least feeling better. ;)

I was starting to worry a bit and was going to email you today to see where you had disappeared to.

I've enjoyed your last few posts, too, by the way.

Anonymous Me said...

I hope sleep is all you need to feel better.

So - Polimom. What a coincidence. My nephew Patrick loves your blog!