Sunday, November 1, 2009

Sunday morning

Well, it's just after 9:30 am now. I've been up for perhaps an hour. I wrote "Bending wire" sometime in the wee hours, just before trying to stay up to watch The Red Shoes, a 1948 ballet film starring Moira Shearer. I couldn't do it. I had to hit the pillow just after her performance in the new ballet, less than halway through the story.

The film goes on to a very tragic ending. Perhaps it will be re-shown later this week - it was playing on our 24/7 local movie channel - and I'll get a chance to watch it in its entirety. I've only seen this movie once before. It has to have been at least fifty years since then, perhaps more. I remembered the glorious photography, the beautiful dancing and - of course, Moira Shearer.

Wiki has a nice writeup about the making of this film which you can read about here, if you're curious and would like to learn more about the story.


I'm all caught up now with my favorite blogs, and I want to give a special shoutout to Steve Davis, our blogger friend from Alberta, Canada. (Not to be confused with Steven, who lives in southeastern Ontario.)

Steve recently got published for the second time outside of the world of philately, this one in an e-zine called Reflective Dog. His current work is a creative nonfiction piece about a bystander who witnesses JFK's assassination.


In his short work, Steve tries to recapture the emotion - the excitement leading up to and then the shock of the actual event. You can read it here, if you'd like.

This past March, Steve could barely contain his excitement as he wrote about his first feature article being chosen for publication in a mainline magazine, Saltscapes.

I had to grit my teeth yet once again, tho, in researching for this post, when I read where he wrote, "The title of the article and it's description is, ... " The bold emphasis is mine. Boy, is that ever a common error! Even among published writers, it would appear. I guess that's what editors are for, huh?

(On June 28th of last year, I published a fairly lengthy dissertation entitled "Its" vs. "It's". That one really sticks in my craw. Two of my blogger friends, who later told me how much they appreciated the lesson and now they completely understood the difference, are STILL making the same error! ? Just shut up, Goldenrod, mind your own business and get on with your post, OK?)

This morning I took some time to go back through a few of Steve's previous posts. I was looking for those where he was chronicling some of his struggles to be a published writer. I found one where he talks about making a resolution to write at least a page a day and another, where he offers quotes from other writers that he's found inspirational when his own resolve seems to falter.

Congratulations, Steve, on your most recent success story. May you have many many more!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the kind words. Appreciate them. I've been busy lately but will try to check in more often from now on. Still writing something most days.

Best to you
Steve

Goldenrod said...

You're more than welcome, Steve. "Sometimes" being an aspiring writer myself (I put the word "Sometimes" in quotes, because I am not an aspiring writer ALL of the time!), I have a vague idea of how difficult it is to motivate oneself.

You are very deserving of a prominent mention on my blog, and you have my most sincere wishes for continued success in future publishing!