Friday, September 11, 2009

More than you ever wanted to know, probably,

about cancer, some of its causes and the various treatments being applied today to try and combat this dreaded disease.

Jennie, as you all know, has been bravely waging her own mighty battle against this latest attack on her body - her brain. This afternoon, she sent me an e-mail in which she talked about some of her latest discoveries. I'd like to share it with you.


Yesterday was really mindblowing. I learned so much about myself and cancer.

I learned yesterday that I have both negative and postive hormone receptors, which is unique. The drugs I have been taking for the past five years probably triggered the new cancer in the breast and in the brain, but because I acted promptly I avoided some things, too. The one in the brain had not invaded the skull, which would have been more involved ,and I had a wonderful neurosurgeon who is passionate about his work. So I am truly blessed to have it behind me. The headaches, nausea and dizziness all stopped as soon as it was removed. My care was terrific.

Now I will be taking a new drug by mouth instead of the infusions I have had for the past 5 years and I am off the drugs that caused the problem, although they did keep me alive in the interim. I am also off the list to get the rough chemo for the breast cancer recurrence, which I was dreading. And last of all, I won't lose my hair again as I would have. There is no need for a port either, so that part got better too.

The radiation for brain cancer is going to begin next week with making a mold for my head and then I think I will choose the cyper knife since it is one hour and has fewer side effects afterward. There are tests to be taken and I am still recuperating, but I am most grateful for the prayers, good wishes, cards and thoughts of everyone. Thank you, thank you and hurrah! I feel like leaping around but that wouldn't be prudent until the staples come out of my head next week.

Thank you for inquiring about me and writing me up. I'll keep you updated.

Love, Jennie



There's so much positive news there, it seems to me. Well, except for the "cyper knife" ... don't much like the sound of that one! :(

We're with you all the way, Jennie!

1 comment:

The Bug said...

The cyper knife does sound spooky - but you're right, the rest of the email is encouraging. Thanks for keeping us updated!