Thursday, August 6, 2009

A mishmash

A couple of sports-related paragraphs, one funny e-mail from Beth, and one not so funny. Let's begin with one of the sports-related.


Tonight, almost all eyes in the major-league-watching baseball world will be focused on NYC, where the Yankees will be 'entertaining' the Boston Red Sox in the first of four games featuring these divisional rivals. Without going back to personally review for my own satisfaction the history of previous series between the two this year, I'm simply going to repeat what I heard earlier on the radio - that the Red Sox had won all (could that possibly be right?) of their previous meetings. This will be a most interesting matchup and could easily have significant ramifications for the American League Eastern division's top two spots! Of much lesser interest in the next several days will be a 6-game set (a combination of home and away games) between the Astros and the Brewers, both of whom are duking it out for 3rd place in the National League Central ... ... ho hum!


Moving on ... ... Beth sent an e-mail warning me of the possibility of being electrocuted while using a mobile (or cell) phone while it was being charged. Some very ugly pictures accompanied her e-mail. They were kind of scary, actually!

I decided to go to "snopes.com" for this one and I'm very glad that I did! The very same ugly photographs appear on 'snopes', but I invite you to read their whole accompanying - and very informative - article.

Btw, I have been guilty - altho not most of the time - of using my cell (or mobile) phone while it was being charged. And, I have sometimes thought, "What if ... ?"


Again, moving on ... ... ... We're now into football season. You know what? There was a time in my life when football was almost all-encompassing. It isn't now.


Lastly, I'd like to share with you Beth's latest e-mail. It's a funny one, (I think!). Enjoy!! It's called "Mid-life crisis solved".

After being married for 39 years, I took a careful look at my wife one day and said, 'Honey, 39 years ago we had a cheap apartment, a cheap car, slept on a sofa bed and watched a black and white 10-inch TV, but I got to sleep every night with a 22-year-old girl ... ...

Now I have a million dollar home, a $50,000 car, a nice big bed and plasma screen TV, but I'm sleeping with a 61-year-old woman. It seems to me that you're not holding up your side of things.'

My wife is a very reasonable woman. She told me to go out and find a hot 22-year-old girl and she would make sure that I would once again be living in a cheap apartment, driving a cheap car, sleeping on a sofa bed and watching a black and white 10-inch TV.

Aren't older women great? They really know how to solve a mid-life crisis.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the midlife crisis story. So true and so funny.

Steve

Tammy said...

Loved this...

Craig Peihopa said...

Goldenrod, I hope you are OK, No posts or comments in a little while. Your presence is missed.

Goldenrod said...

I'm OK. Just haven't felt like posting anything. Kinda weird stuff going on, actually. Right back atcha with your good wishes, Craig! Am OK. Truly I am. Have been having some really out-of-this-world-type dreams ... ... certainly nothing I'd like to put in writing for a post. :):(:)

Craig Peihopa said...

Thanks for that. I am just glad you are OK. Weird dreams ha, wow. You are missed though.