Friday, August 14, 2009

Crock pot taco soup

"The most delicious soup ever" is how Tammy refers to this ... ...


Doesn't that look absolutely scrumptious?


Here's the recipe ...

1 pound ground turkey, browned
1 envelope taco seasoning mix
1 envelope ranch dressing mix
1 large can diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can green chilies, undrained
1 can whole kernel corn, undrained
1 can black beans, undrained
1 can sliced black olives, drained
1 onion, diced
1 green bell pepper, diced

Place ingredients in a crock pot, stir and add just enough water to cover everything. Cook on low all day or on high for about 4 hours. Top individual bowls of soup with a dollop of sour cream, if desired.

Tammy adds, "I would imagine this would be fine simmering in a large pot on the stove all day. Also, it would be delicious without meat, too."


I intend to try this when our weather cools down a bit. I'll be using RO*TEL's cans of diced tomatoes and green chilies, instead. Too bad they don't have the RO*TEL brand up there in Idaho. You might recall that I first wrote about RO*TEL this past January, when I was talking about a really neat recipe for chili. If you missed that post and would like a tried and tested chili recipe, or if you'd just like to go back and refresh your memory banks, here's the link.

I think I will not use turkey. Believe I'll try beef, instead. Also, I like mushrooms. I wonder how those would work? Could they be simmered along with all of the other ingredients in a crock pot?

4 comments:

Jim said...

Hi this is Jim from over in Tammy's blog. You asked about the taco soup difference--I had to go ask my wife for the recipe, lol.

This is what she says we use:

1 large can of Chili con carne-mild or hot

Can of kidney beans

Can of diced tomatoes

Lb. of browned ground beef or stew meat. Can add more if you want.

Can of whole kernal corn

Package of your favorite taco seasoning.

Size of cans and how much meat is up to who is making it. We have a family of 5 and we all love it, so usually the slow cooker is filled almost to the top.

We usually start this cooking the night or morning before our dinner meal. Watching the water level. Depends on how much 'soupiness' you want. I totally think it tastes better if its been left over night on low. We like it a little with a little less soup and more chunky. Then we put it on tortilla chips, any shape, or even on fritos. We top it off with cheddar/monterey mix of shredded cheese. Sometime we include salad , so its like a taco salad as well.

We have a different thing that my wife makes called 'Haystacks". Alot like the soup, but less liquid and more beans, mixed in with a salad, shredded cheese and doritos. This one is a good one if you like a lot of veggies. Of the two I like the soup a little more.

My wife loves the slow cooker, lol.

Tammy said...

The one thing I would not give up in my kitchen is a slow cooker (crock pot). Couldn't live without one, lol...I use it at least 3-4 days a week. :)

Let me know how you like it when you make it Goldenrod.

Jim, I'm going to have to jot down what you use!

Goldenrod said...

Boy, those two recipes sure are different, aren't they? Thanks a bunch, Jim, for adding your thoughts to my post. LUV your idea of adding shredded cheese with chips. I'll probably try different combinations, depending on the mood I'm in at the time. (There's only one of me, so I get to make all the decisions.)

I wonder if either you or Tammy knows the answer to my mushroom question. (?)

Tammy said...

I would think mushrooms would be fine...