Thursday, February 12, 2009

A couple of added thoughts and a recommendation

Black History Month ...

I mentioned, in my post on George Theophilus Walker, that my new blogger friend, Steve (who hails from Alberta, Canada), was going to be publishing - in honor of Black History Month - something on Abraham Lincoln.

Well, today he posted his fourth such! Of particular interest to me, being a fellow philatelist, was his first, where he referenced this site, which celebrates Lincoln's 200th birthday through stamps and postal history. There are over twenty illustrations of commemorative stamps, along with explanations, to be found here.

I do not know how many more Steve intends to publish on Abraham Lincoln, and so I'm going to just link you to his general blogsite. You can peruse any, some, or all at your leisure. Thank you, Steve, for your perspective!


Going digital ...

Is it only this country that's going digital? That thought occurred to me just this morning when it finally registered in my conscious mind that it was the United States Congress that had proposed the extension date of June 12th for the conversion from analog to digital (see my last post).


Mentoring at the Bridge Studio ...

It was an interesting session yesterday. This young gal had all but given up on the mentoring program. The mentors that she'd had previously had given her no feedback, suggestions, or help at all, she told me. She followed me around the whole time, listening to my every word.

These mentoring sessions are not intended to be 'lessons'. However, at the same time, the mentor is expected to be helpful. What positives did the mentor notice? Was there a point or two that the mentee could pick up on that would be of use in the future?

Long story short, we are scheduled to play again next month. More later. (Really positive vibes on this one. I'll be reporting back to all y'all again in March, no doubt, after our next session, which will be March 11th. I am certainly open to the possibility of a 'paying' client, bridge-wise, but at this point have no idea how seriously she wants to take the game, what lessons she might have had, etc. Meanwhile, for SURE I can tell you that I am very much looking forward to our next get-together.)

2 comments:

Tammy said...

I wondered too if it's just the US going digital...

Goldenrod said...

That's the question, isn't it, Tammy?