Saturday, October 10, 2009

A volunteer extraordinaire

I haven't published it yet, but thought I'd introduce all of you who do not subscribe to my column in the Examiner to my duplicate bridge friend, Arlene, who is - in the truest sense of the phrase - a volunteer extraordinaire and the newest subscriber to "Goldenrod's thoughts". Welcome, Arlene!


Now, Arlene's the one on the right in this photo. Originally, the one I had intended to use was larger and included all of the words on the banner.

However, Arlene chose to use the cropped version because she didn't want her tummy showing. Rrvit! Shades of my mother, who - when lying in a hospital bed dying of cancer - had her beautician come in and color her roots because she didn't want any white showing. (Btw, Arlene doesn't have a 'tummy' per se, altho she thinks she does. That's what matters, right?)

Arlene was honored at a recent tournament here in Houston for her many many years of service to Unit 174, which is the local American Contract Bridge League affiliate. I won't go on and on here listing what all she did, but you'll just have to trust me on this one. Significant!

Now, since retiring as editor and writer of 174's monthly newsletter, Arlene has begun her own blog. Content is here, there and everywhere, and she goes into great depth. I know that she would love to have some of you as her readers.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Congratulations Arlene! And it's good to hear from you, Goldenrod. :)

Craig Peihopa said...

Amen Tammy, great news about Arlene, and welcome back Goldenrod. Arlene Weingarten Day - How momentous is that!

Arlene said...

Being written about by someone special (by virtue of your writing talent and intelligence) makes me feel a little special by association. Thanks.