Monday, February 8, 2010

Super Bowl thoughts

Polimom -among many others, I'm sure - is an avid Saints' fan, but as of this writing ... 2 pm on Monday, February 8, 2010 ... she has posted not one single word about the game yesterday. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What's THAT all about? Is she in a comatose state after their win? Is she ill? Is AC or someone else in her family ill, had an accident, or in the hospital? Has my son-in-law forbidden her from publicly crowing and screaming to the skies, "YESSS!" What's going on there, anyway??

Her lack of saying anything, particularly considering her last post in re the Saints in the playoff picture, has me nonplussed.

Did any of you watch? My sessions in the Regional tournament ended well before game time and I could have taken in the whole thing, starting with the kickoff, but I had some errands to run beforehand and then Stargate SG-1 came on.

However, I want all y'all to know that I was listening on the radio when the Colts were held - on their opening drive - to a field goal. I called Polimom and said, "I think that's a good sign." She agreed.

I called again after some extensive shopping, said I was on my way home and asked what was happening. Not too much, I was told. The Saints had been able to muster very little offense and the Colts had scored a touchdown on one of their next possessions.

By the time I got all of the groceries unloaded from the car and put away - television on the whole time, of course, so I could keep up with what was going on - I learned that the second quarter belonged almost entirely to the Saints. Hmm!

I sat down to watch for a bit. After all, SG-1 wasn't due to come on for a while yet and there'd been a time in my not that distant past when I was a football 'maniac'.

I called my son-in-law to try and tell him the Saints should have gone for the fullback up the middle when it was first and goal from the three-yard line. However, he misunderstood what I was trying to say and thought I was predicting the next play call. Noo, I wasn't.

I watched with absolute and utter glee and delight when the Saints led off the second half with an onside kick whose outcome - for several minutes, it seemed like - was undecided. I thought that was one of the funniest things I had ever seen, and hope they (my daughter and her family) were able to tape it so they could play it back again and again and again. Hilarious!

I called Polimom, who answered the phone with, "Hahahahahahaha!"

Later, during a commercial break for SG-1, I had the lucky happenstance to catch the interception that was run back for a touchdown. That was exciting!

Then today, while driving back and forth from the eye doctor appointment, I had sports talk radio on. Interesting, the comments. They varied greatly, depending on whether or not the caller was a Saints' or Colts' fan, as you might imagine.

What about you? Did you watch?

5 comments:

The Bug said...

We did watch. I was pulling for the Colts (because I like Peyton Manning), but I was really happy to see the Saints win - I love a good underdog story!

Polimom said...

No coma, no accidents, no hospitalizations. LOL!!! Just couldn't think of anything to write beyond "YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!" -- and it didn't seem worth putting up a blog post with the obvious.

:)

Craig Peihopa said...

I caught a bit of the game here in OZ as well Goldenrod. I was happy for the saints to win, more out of a significance from the devastation New Orleans received a while ago, I figured that there would be so many people thinking a win would signify a new start or success. I am not a huge follower of the teams in your playoffs, and think I was perhaps more interested in the 2.5 million US dollars per 30 seconds of commercial time it costs for the advertisers, and seeing the commercials, though we dont always get them shown here.

Jacky said...

Enjoyed watching the game and I'm delighted that the Saints won. Of course we probably would have also been happy if the Colts won since we live in Indiana.
We saw Drew play for Purdue in the Rose Bowl. He is a great Purdue alumni and has done a lot for the University.
I really watched the game this time. I usually pay more attention to the adds. This time it looked like the game was better and the adds were worse!

Goldenrod said...

Thanks, guys, for your comments. Thought the ads were worth a whole lot less than what they cost the networks, btw. (imo) Have seen better in years past, a WHOLE lot better. How about you? (Advertisers now expect to get gouged and therefore can be taken advantage of??)

I think the entire world - at least, that part of the world who was aware (and cared) that a Super Bowl game of football was going on - was rooting for the Saints if only because of the devastation that Hurricane Katrina wreaked. The underdog, as Bug said.

Me? I was watching all of the post-game festivities and celebrations in the French Quarter and kept thinking, "Jeez, I hope they don't get sick!" Did you see what they were wearing? Shorts and t-shirts, for crying out loud. !!! Ye Gods! (This has been anything BUT a warm winter.)

You have your own support group going there, Polimom, and therefore no need to scream "YAYYYY!!!!" to the world. (And I'm very glad you're not in a coma, no accidents, no hospitalizations.) It's different with me. As my therapist from many years ago told me, "Goldenrod, you have no one to share the good news with." And she was right, of course. Only now, I DO have someone to share the good news with .. my readership! I thank you all, faithful readers - even those of you who never leave a comment. I know you're out there and I treasure each and every one of you.

Jacky, the stories about Drew Brees - as they keep seeping in - continue to amaze me. What an interesting and extremely likeable and genuine person he seems to be.

What I am having trouble with, personally, is the name "Manning" .. .. too many to suit my taste. My mind becomes addlepated.